On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 7:14 PM, Nathaniel Smith <n...@pobox.com> wrote:

[...snip discussion of how option D was the favorite of 80% of people
in the survey...]

> So the next question is where we go from here. We need to pick a color
> for this bikeshed at some point. One theory is that the next step is
> to propose a bunch of variations on option D and have another round of
> voting etc. Another is that we should just call it a day and decide
> now :-).
>
> For reference, here's option D:
>     https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/option_d.png
>
> And here are the other greenish colormaps that have been mentioned:
>     https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/fake_parula.png
>     https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/erics-RdBuGnYl_r.png
>     https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/erics-RdBuGnYl_r_v2.png
>     https://bids.github.io/colormap/images/screenshots/joes-blu_grn_pnk2.png
>
> My personal feeling is that all these alternatives are basically
> reasonable colormaps, but compared to option D I find them kinda ugly,
> and, more importantly, substantially worse for colorblind users, which
> IMO should outweigh a marginal/debateable improvement for the rest of
> us.
>
> So if it were up to me I'd be inclined to declare we've reached the
> point of diminishing returns and go with D, but I don't know how
> everyone else is feeling. Shall we just go for it?

So it's been 2 weeks with no real followup on this. I don't really
care where we end up (though I selfishly would somewhat prefer if
there is a decision before our SciPy talk next week, just so we can
tell people what it is :-)), but we need to resolve this somehow.
What's the plan?

Michael, Thomas, I see from the credits page that you're the Official
Lead Developers :-), so given the intrinsic bikeshedditude of this
topic I suspect it may come down to you taking a deep breath and
making a decision (or at least declaring some specific concrete
process for making the decision)?

-n

--
Nathaniel J. Smith -- http://vorpus.org