Hi,

frac works for me:

yaxislabel=r'\sffamily water content $\left(
\frac{\textsf{kg}}{\textsf{m}^{\textsf{\small 2}}}\right) $'

ylabel(yaxislabel)

And you can also set
rc('text', usetex=False)
in your file to enable or disable tex

in my case I did the following:

tex_out=True # False
if tex_out:
     xaxislabel=r'time ($\sqrt{\textsf{s}}$)'
     yaxislabel=r'\sffamily water content $\left(
\frac{\textsf{kg}}{\textsf{m}^{\textsf{\small 2}}}\right) $'
     rc('text', usetex=True)
else:
     xaxislabel='time (s**0.5)'
     yaxislabel='water content (kg/m2)'
     rc('text', usetex=False)

It's perhaps not the mose elegant way to do, but I'm quite new to
python/pylab/matplotlib

Wolfgang