Darren Dale wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
>
> On Monday 10 July 2006 8:19 pm, Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> Where should I start trying to debug an issue where Adobe Illustrator CS
>> for Windows is unable to open my EPS file generated by matplotlib? When
>> attempting to open the file, a a dialog pops up that says, "The
>> operation cannot complete because of an unknown error." So much for
>> informative error messages. Ghostview 3.6.1 can read the file just fine,
>> and Acrobat Distiller 7.0 for windows can also convert it to a PDF just
>> fine. FWIW, I'm using matplotlib.rc('ps',usedistiller=None), but I get
>> similar problems setting usedistiller='xpdf'.
>>
>> I'm basically an EPS file newbie, so don't be afraid to give me the
>> equivalent of "did you make sure the power switch is turned on".
>>

> I have a feeling its a problem with the font handling. I cant open a file in
> inkscape either, the image looks fine but the fonts are missing. Try setting
> ps.usedistiller = ghostscript. That converts the file to low-level
> postscript, which CS should definitely be able to open. It worked for
> inkscape, at least.

Hi Darren,

Hmm, that didn't do it. Simple plots (like simple_plot.py) work with no
distiller step, so it must be something about my more complex plot.
Unfortunately, it's a rather complex menagerie of code that produces the
plot so I'm afraid that if I want to narrow this down, it'll be rather
painful and slow going. I might just stick with the
MPL->EPS->Distiller->PDF->Illustrator toolchain, which seems to work for
the moment.