I see weird behaviour like this in Windows too. In my case, the
horizontal size of the plot window increases as the pointer is moved
inside a plot region. i.e. the aspect ratio of the window changes
erratically, I think between two sizes. Sometimes it remains at the
incorrect shape when the mouse pointer is shifted outside the plot area
and sometimes it pops back to the correct shape. Is this the behaviour
you see? I don't know how to avoid it. I noticed that shifting the
pointer out of the plot area by moving through the bottom of the window
seems to avoid the possibility of the window remaining with the
incorrect aspect. I seem to remember seeing this behaviour on an old
version of matplotlib. I thought it disappeared and has perhaps
returned. My memory is hazy on this.

Gary R.