Bill Baxter wrote:
> Great.  Thanks.  I'll take a look at that file.  Is "transFigure" the
> one that I was calling "screen space"?

All of the transforms go from some particular coordinate system to what
one might call "screen coordinates": position in dots (pixels), with
(0,0) in the lower left corner.  transFigure and transAxes go from
normalized coordinates to these screen coordinates; for transFigure,
(0,0) and (1,1) are the lower left and upper right corners of the
figure, and for transAxes they are the corners of the axes.

I think that what you want to do requires something like the mechanism
in QuiverKey: a derived artist with a draw method that figures out at
draw time where to put the text; I don't think there is any other way to
handle zooming while keeping the screen separation from a data point fixed.

This may be a common enough task to warrant adding an "offset" tuple
kwarg to the Text class, and maybe a transOffset as well.

Eric