    Richard> Briefly, is there a way to get a callback in the event
    Richard> that the canvas has been redrawn (e.g. from a zoom or
    Richard> pan)?

    Richard> matplotlib 0.86.2 python 2.4.1 wxPython 2.6.2.1 Mac OS
    Richard> X.4.7

    Richard> I draw a circle at a certain point. I let the user drag
    Richard> that point to a new location. However, if the plot is
    Richard> redrawn for any reason, I have to redraw my circle in a
    Richard> new position. I can't seem to find any way to get
    Richard> notified of a redraw.

Have you dried connecting to a draw_event?

    def ondraw(event):
        # do something
        pass

   fig.canvas.mpl_connect('draw_event', ondraw)

FYI, the widgets module matplotlib.widgets is a good place to look for
examples of mpl event handling, in addition to the class documentation
in the Event hierarchy in
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/matplotlib.backend_bases.html

JDH