    Rob> I have been having problems with postscript output from MPL
    Rob> on my various Macs that is just beyond the problem discussed
    Rob> in the tread here.  But this seemed like the best place to
    Rob> bring it up.  The basic problem is that Adobe products like
    Rob> Illustrator can't read MPL .eps output.

Are you sure you have set the font paths properly *and* flushed your
~/.matplotlib/ttffont.cache before regenerating your files.  Use
--verbose-debug when creating your test EPS to make sure you are
getting bitstream fonts.  If you still have trouble, post an errant
eps file somewhere and maybe someone can poke into it.

    Rob> I think that opening an EPS in Illustrator is the ultimate
    Rob> test of EPS format compliance, as those are the folks who
    Rob> made it.

I think this is debatable, as it is a closed source implementation of
an open document format specification.  But I am willing to accept
that it is more likely that Illustrator is right than that mpl is
right.

    Rob> What can we do to make MPL output universally readable
    Rob> postscript?

Find the bug and fix it :-)

JDH