    Darren> which is 17 bytes long. 17*80000 = 1.36MB. Maybe we dont
    Darren> need as many sig figs, that could cut the size down by
    Darren> maybe 25%.

We could make the fmt string for PS and SVG output floats a
configurable parameter and be done with it.  As you know, we've spent
a lot of time trying to get the right string that doesn't produce
visual errors and I'm not inclined to change the default.  But we
could make it an rc param for those who want to trade accuracy for
space.

JDH