I'm developing an application for personal use on my Mac, using the
GTAgg backend, which renders a series of plots in a figure in a pygtk
scrolled window.  I'm currently using matplotlib 0.87.3 installed via
Fink.  Matplotlib is performing well.

Today I had occasion to log into my Mac over ssh from work.  I noted
that the application was extremely slow to display the plots.
Running locally on my Mac, the application takes about 5 seconds to
display the plots when it opens.  Remotely, it took around 5 minutes
(repeatable).  On a whim, I tried changing to the GTK backend - now
it displayed the plots in about 20 seconds, which is quite acceptable
considering it is remote access over an ssh tunnel.

I checked the CPU usage on both the Mac, and my work PC - the CPU
usage was very, very low on both machines, so I'm not sure where the
bottleneck lies.  My install rights on the work PC are very
restricted, so I'm using CygWin via XLiveCD, which I have copied onto
the hard drive to speed it up.

http://xlivecd.indiana.edu/

This poor performance when using GTKAgg isn't really a problem - I'll
code a command line switch to change to the GTK backend for the few
times I need remote access.  I'm reporting it just in case one of the
developers thinks it could be useful to troubleshoot, in case it
highlights a problem in the code.  I also want to note that the GTK
backend is useful to some people, and hope that it will continue to
be supported (I seem to recall one mention that it was little used).

Thanks for matplotlib.

Kevin Horton
Ottawa, Canada