Le Mardi 31 Octobre 2006 23:14, Eric Firing a écrit :
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have different questions to use tex with matplotlib.
> >
> > The first one:
> >
> > If I'm doing:
> >
> > rc('text', usetex=True)
> > xlabel('$\textrm{toto}$')  # bad
> > xlabel(r'$\textrm{toto}$') # ok
> >
> > The results are not the same and I don't understand why.
> >
> > and for:
> >
> > xlabel('$\textit{toto}$')  #bad
> > xlabel(r'$\textit{toto}$') #ok
> >
> > same things, but it's working fine for:
> >
> > xlabel('$\it{toto}$') #ok
> > xlabel(r'$\it{toto}$') #ok
> >
> > but it's not working for \bf:
> >
> > xlabel('$\textbf{toto}$')  # bad
> > xlabel(r'$\textbf{toto}$') # ok
> > xlabel('$\bf{toto}$')        # bad
> > xlabel(r'$\bf{toto}$')       # ok
> >
> > And this bring to the second question, I would like to create the xlabel
> > with latex stuf inside somewhere in my script:
> >
> > label='$\textrm{test}_2$'
> >
> > but that can't work:
> >
> > xlabel(label) # bad
> >
> > How to tell that I want the "r" before the chains to have TeX working
> > like expected?
>
> I think you have much to gain and nothing to lose by *always* using raw
> strings for TeX.  The reason your "bad" cases are bad is that \b and \t
> are escape sequences; in an ordinary string, without the leading r, the
> two-character sequences are translated into control characters (bell and
> tab, respectively).  \i is not an escape sequence, so it gets left alone.
>
> Eric

I agree with you but how can I use the raw strings when I want to compose a
text (2nd question)

I tried:

label='$\textrm{test}_2$
xlabel(r label)
xlabel(r+label)

etc but it not working (like I expected). So I would like to know if there are
a way to precise that the text is a raw string by another thing that the r
character just before the string. Perhaps that will be good to have an option
like raw=true or something similar?

Thanks,

N.