Robert Cimrman wrote:
> Eric Firing wrote:
>> Robert and any other spy users:
>>
>> I have committed to svn a new axes method, spy3, that combines a
>> modification of the functionality of both spy and spy2.  I hope you
>> can check it out.  If it looks OK, then I would like to simply replace
>> spy and spy2 with this combined version.  In that case the pylab
>> interface, which now gives access to spy and spy2, would have a single
>> spy function which would access the new version.  My suspicion is that
>> spy is used almost entirely in interactive mode, and probably not by
>> very many people, so that this changeover can be made quickly with
>> little disruption to present users.
>>
>> Attached is a script illustrating the difference in the way spy3
>> displays a matrix (it matches the way it is printed: first index is
>> row number, second is column number, row number increases down) versus
>> what spy and spy2 do (first index is X, second index is Y).
>>
>> Also attached is the diff for spy3.
>>
>> Users may want to comment in particular on the default for the
>> "aspect" kwarg.  Presently it is set to "equal" so that the shape of
>> the plot is the shape of the array with square cells.  This differs
>> from spy and spy2.  The rationale is that it gives the best picture of
>> what the array looks like, including its shape.
>
> Thumbs up :), just add the sparse-full matrix switch to the imshow
> branch too, if possible. But I am happy with it as it is.

Robert,

The sparse-full difference only works with the plot mode; for an image
there is no alternative to providing a value for every pixel, so I don't
know of any way to optimize it for the case of sparse storage.  A
polygon collection could be used to achieve the same result in this
case.  I'm not sure it is a good idea, though, because there would be an
advantage of not converting to a regular array only in the case where
the array is so large that such a conversion would use a big chunk of
memory, and in that case the polygons probably would be less than
single-pixel size anyway, so one would be better off using the present
symbol-plotting mode.

Anyway, I'm glad it works for you.  Thanks for checking.

Eric