Hi again,

At http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/installing.html under topic OS X:

   "All of the backends run on OS X. Chris Barker has built a binary
package (fink users see below) for matplotlib which is hosted on
pythonmac, and works with Agg, Wx and Tk; see the step-by-step
instructions kindly provided by Michael Tobis."

note that the step-by-step link leads to:

   Under revision. Please come back soon.

------

It is because I've had some installation troubles that I have been
looking at the OS X install info so closely.

For instance: originally I tried to use macports for all python site-
packages-related installs (as well as using their python24). The ONLY
backend that seems to work thru that route is WxAgg (http://
howdy.physics.nyu.edu/index.php/Numpy_For_Mac_Using_MacPython
corroborates this). I was able to achieve results w/backend WxAgg and
numerix Numeric. However, when I tried to change the toolbar to
classic, WxAgg crapped out.

W/MacPorts, I've been able to get the TkAgg backend to work, but
_NOT_ with numerix set to Numeric. Success was only achieved w/TkAgg
when numerix was set to Numpy. When I try the WXAgg backend (along w/
the pythonmac 2.6.3.3 wxPython dmg for python 2.4), a simple plot
([1,2,3]) craps out with:

exceptions.MemoryError                               Traceback (most
recent call last)
<snip>
---> 63         self.bitmap = _convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap
(self.get_renderer(), None)
      64         if repaint:
      65             self.gui_repaint()
<snip>
MemoryError: _wxagg.convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap(): could not create the
wx.Bitmap