Alan G Isaac wrote:
> I assume there must be a reason for this::
>
>     >>> import pylab
>     >>> pylab.__version__
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>       File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>     AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'
>
> That has always bothered me.
> But of course you can::
>
>     >>> import matplotlib
>     >>> matplotlib.__version__
>     '0.87.7'

After a little experimentation I have tentatively concluded that
__version__ only gets imported if it is a package attribute--that is, if
it is defined in __init__.py.  Matplotlib is a package but pylab is just
a module, so it does not seem to be possible to give it matplotlib's
__version__.  I could not find anything in the python documentation
about this, though.

Eric