belinda thom wrote:
> I am posting this message to both numpy and matplotlib mailing lists
> because the thread relates to both.

Actually, it's really only relevant to matplotlib.

> However, after installing wx and matplotlib, various problems result:
>
> 1) warnings about fonts
> 2) wx fails to work
>
> I've appended the warnings below. These only occur the first time
> pylab is imported (does this make sense?).

Yes. After the first time, a cache is built and the font manager doesn't go
trawling through your fonts again. matplotlib's font library cannot parse some
of the Mac fonts (damned resource forks), so it warns you.

Personally, I think the warnings are a bit overzealous and should be silenced.
It's not as if the user is explicitly telling the font manager to load those
specific fonts. They are automatically and unavoidably attempted.

> WX / MATPLOTLIB FAILURE
>
> 4 % python

Try running with pythonw.

--