belinda thom wrote:

> reports no differences. So, I went back and retried the plotting w/wx as
> a backend and discovered that wx FAILS with PYTHONW and PYTHON (appended).

That's what I expected.

> If you saw how many notes I've collected on the different installs I've
> tried you'd laugh (except that its not funny).

no, it's not -- but good for you for keeping notes!

> 3) Using Robert's install-from-source method (this install used
> gfortran.bin.tar.gz, with the caveat that the expected WXAgg doesn't work)

I do think I know what the problem is there.

> self.bitmap = _convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap(self.get_renderer(), None)
> MemoryError: _wxagg.convert_agg_to_wx_bitmap(): could not create the
> wx.Bitmap

the current, default, wxAgg back end uses some C++ code to efficiently
create wxBitmaps from the Agg buffer. since it's at the C++ level, MPL
needs to be compiled against the version of wx you want to use.

The MPL build system uses a nifty utility that comes with wx called
wx-config to find the wx libs. However, Apple delivered an old version
of wxPython with it's Python2.3. By default, the MPL build find the old
wx-config, and you end up building the wxAgg back-end against that
version of wx, which is not the one you want. Try this:

$ wx-config --version

I get "2.5.3" -- the version delivered by Apple.

now this:
$ which wx-config
/usr/bin/wx-config

It's in /usr/bin -- where apple puts stuff.

$ locate wx-config

I have a bunch -- these are a few:

/usr/bin/wx-config
/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.6.3.3/bin/wx-config
/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.0.1/bin/wx-config

The first is Apples.
The second is the 2.6 version I have installed with Python2.4
The third is the 2.8 version I have installed with Python2.5

Pick the one you want to build with, then set an environment variable to
point to it:

WX_CONFIG=/usr/local/lib/wxPython-unicode-2.8.0.1/bin/wx-config

then run:

setup.py build.

If you look in setupext.py, you'll see a function:

find_wx_config()

Now that I look at it, it should be able to be beefed up to look for a
wx-config that matches the default wxPython installed in the Python that
you're running setup.py with. Maybe I'll do that the next time I build.

Come to think of it, if I just sat down and did all this it would
probably take less time than writing all these helpful messages to the
newsgroups!

-Chris

PS: I have not tested this recently, but it all should work!

PPS: Belinda, now that you've done all this work, I do hope you can go
the extra mile and figure out how to make a binary package of it all for
others!

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]