>> Shouldn't the version of wxPython also get included in the name along
>> with the python version and os version?
>
> That information is in the ReadMe file in the installer.

I will try to remember to look there in the future to know which wx
is supported, thanks.

The matplotlib on sourceforge
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/matplotlib/matplotlib-0.90.0-py2.5-
macosx-10.4-fat.egg?modtime=1171118530&big_mirror=0

is an egg but doesn't install with easy_install. Complains there is
no setup.py file.
I copied the .egg directory into ....site-packages but it is not
automatically included in sys.path
when I run the python interpreter.

I have to manually do this:
 >>> from pkg_resources import require
 >>> require("matplotlib")
[matplotlib 0.90.0 (/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/
lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.90.0-py2.5-macosx-10.4-
fat.egg)]

for it to be accessible.

I guess I have to add it manually to my PYTHONPATH or else generate
a .pth file and put it in site-packages
to get it automatically added to sys.path?

In the past the distributions were a little more user friendly for
installing.
I know I can't complain too much since you are doing all the work.
Just wondering if I missed something when I tried to install it.