Hi Eric

I tried the new spy function under Windows and it seemed to work OK. A
great leap forward, actually, given the problems I had been seeing.
Merging the spy functions was a good idea (does it work ok for very very
large, very sparse matrices?)

Trying it under Ubuntu was less straightforward. I built an RPM (python
setup.py bdist_rpm) then converted it to deb package then installed it.
It complained about my old ~/.matplotlib/matplotlibrc file so I moved it
out of the way. Then I fired up again and it was OK.

In my new Ubuntu install of matplotlib, sans matplotlibrc, I would like
to switch GUIs to GTKAgg but there doesn't seem to be a
/etc/matplotlibrc file from which to base my configuration. Is this a
fault of my rpm-to-deb process, or something that failed during build?
Is it still possible to run the GTKAgg GUI? Has the config system changed?

Finally, can I suggest that the website be updated with some information
about the new release? I couldn't find any readable information about it
on-line -- had to go to the tarball. I think generally the matplotlib
community would benefit from more frequently updated website. While I'm
at it, maybe I could suggest a matplotlib wiki that gets a bit more
prominance on the homepage and that is *separate* from the scipy one,
since the scipy wiki gives completely mixed messages about what plotting
engine is preferred (chaco.wx and VTK and so on) -- it can't be helping
the matplotlib cause.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html (bit out of date)

Cheers
JP