Evan,

It is still not quite clear to me what you want versus what you are
getting.  With recent versions of mpl, the colorbar automatically uses
the same color boundaries as contourf, if that is what the colorbar is
tracking.  What version of mpl are you using?

(With the most recent mpl I see that there is a strange bug such that
setting clim clobbers the axis tick labeling for the colorbar--yet
another thing that needs to be figured out and fixed.)

Eric