On 3/28/07, jens haemmerling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have problems to plot surfaces like f(x,y)=x*y...
> for example "plot_surface([1,2,3], [4,5,6], [7,8,9])" doesn't work either...
>
> I imported the following:
>
> from numpy import *
> import pylab as p
> import matplotlib.axes3d as p3
>
> does anybody have an advice?
You can do surface plots with axe3d, but mpl isn't really suited for
3d plotting since 3d plotting is nascent and not supported.  We
include it in hopes that someone else will ike it and improve it but
that hasn't happened yet.

Personally, unless you are doing interactive stuff like rotating your
figure, surface plots don't help much, and mpl 3d is really too slow
for interactive 3d.  I use imshow or pcolor with colormapping, which
will give you just about all the information you can get out of a
non-interactive 3d plot.

JDH