> For example, the freefonts don't have a very complete math symbol
> set at all.  Falling back on the Computer Modern fonts for just
> those symbols would work, but won't look very nice.  That said, a
> lot of users can probably do without those extended symbols
> altogether.

You say that CM fonts/symbols look bad mixed with other fonts -- that
is also my experience from years of LaTeXing...

However, I often just want to put powers on units -- e.g., m^3 s^
{-1}, and serifed fonts look terrible as superscripts for sans fonts.

Perhaps there is another way to get what I want?

Also, the main problem I find when mixing CM symbols (e.g., \epsilon)
with other fonts is that the CM fonts seem small.  Perhaps there is a
way to jack up the symbol size to that it matches the non-CM fonts in
a more reasonable way?

-Rob

----
Rob Hetland, Associate Professor
Dept. of Oceanography, Texas A&M University
http://pong.tamu.edu/~rob
phone: 979-458-0096, fax: 979-845-6331