I am really just getting to mess with this now and ran into an issue.
I want to turn off the y axis and 3 sides of the border around the
plot area, so that I left with just the bottom x-axis and its tick
marks.  Turning off the y axis is easy enough, but the only way I
found to get rid of the border is with

ax.set_frame_on(False)

which also gets rid of my bottom x axis and leaves tick marks along
the top (see attached).  How do I get rid of the top tick marks, keep
the bottom ones, and get the bottom x-axis back?

Thanks,

Ryan