Sorry for the wild goose chase.  Now that my memory has been jogged --
This is actually a known problem with the Cairo backend.  Cairo only
allows access to fonts installed in the normal OS-specific places (and
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/matplotlib/mpl-data/fonts/ttf is
definitely not one of them... ;)  Worse than that, AFAIK, there is know
way of knowing whether a particular font was found, so we can't give
users a nice warning message when your situation occurs.

To remedy:  Install all of the matplotlib fonts into a standard place
where fontconfig will find them (such as ~/.fonts).  Then run fc-cache
to regenerate the font cache.  Matplotlib's Cairo backend should
hopefully work after that.

You can also use the regular PDF backend, which doesn't exhibit this
problem.  If there's a reason why the Cairo PDF output is better than
the normal PDF backend's output for you, please let us know.

What I'm puzzled by now is -- why did the Cairo backend work for you on
the Mac?  Did you install the fonts there?  I'm not on the Mac much ---
but I'd be very surprised if Cairo found the CM fonts as installed by
matplotlib automagically there.

Cheers,
Mike

--