You can also set a custom formatter for each axis without hacking the
matplotlib code::

   def custom_formatter(value):
     return str(value)

   gca().fmt_xdata = custom_formatter
   gca().fmt_ydata = custom_formatter

We may want to add a cleaner (more obvious) API for this -- but there
might be good reasons that it works this way that I just don't know about.

Cheers,
Mike

Yongtao Cui wrote:
> Hi Jack,
>
> In \matplotlib\axes.py, Axes.format_xdata()
>
> func = self.xaxis.get_major_formatter().format_data_short
> ->func = self.xaxis.get_major_formatter().format_data
>
> same for Axes.format_ydata()
>
> -Yongtao
>
> On Dec 22, 2007 1:46 PM, Jack Sankey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     When you make a figure and move the mouse around inside the axes, the
>     x- and y-values appear in the status bar. Is there a way to change the
>     precision of this data? It's only tracking 3 significant figures and I
>     need more (say you're zoomed in on some data with a large offset).
>
>     Is there a way to change this in matplotlibrc or some global
>     preference? If not, is it a figure property?
>
>     Thanks in advance,
>     Jack

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch