Thanks for the patch.  However, perhaps a more general solution would be
to use the Python locale module to format numbers according to different
locales.  And expose a kwarg select between the user's preferred locale,
the current U.S. English-centric defaults as they are now, or an
arbitrary locale using an ISO language code.  That seems like it could
be a better long-term solution, since there are different number formats
all over, not just in Germany.

All that said, internationalization is hard -- especially for us
sheltered people in the U.S. where the defaults are most often correct.
  I may be missing an important detail here.

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch