More information: this problem reared its ugly head way back in 2005 and
the same font (orlando.ttf) was the culprit then! ;)

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=42E69B61.4060008%40caltech.edu

Also, is it possible you have PyCXX installed in a system-wide location,
such as /usr/include/CXX or /usr/include/python2.5/CXX ?  If so, the
compiler might be included those headers, but building with the
matplotlib-included ones, causing all kinds of craziness.  Try
uninstalling pycxx and rebuilding matplotlib and see if that solves things.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom