Well, that was a good puzzle!

It turns out that in the Wx backends, the figure is created at the
correct (requested) size, and then immediately the height is shrunk by
25 pixels (at least on my platform) when the status bar is added to the
window.  By creating the status bar before the figure canvas I was able
to prevent this from happening.

This seems like a safe fix to me, but anyone who currently extends the
Wx Frame (meaning the whole window etc.) and is unknowingly compensating
for this effect may have problems after my change.

Committed on the maintenance branch in r4997.

http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib?view=rev&revision=4997

BTW, I also committed the fix for the range of values in
figure.subplot.* here:

<http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-pylab-axis-query-and-possible-bug-p14459682.html>

to the maintenance branch (it was previously only made to the trunk.)

Cheers,
Mike

Gary Ruben wrote:
> Gary Ruben wrote: