I suspect there is an .afm font file on your new system that is untested
with matplotlib and exhibiting something "new".

I would first try to track down which font file it is, and then send it
to me off list and I'll have a look at what might be tripping up matplotlib.

Cheers,
Mike

--
Michael Droettboom