Matthias Michler wrote:
> sorry I don't understand what you are exactly looking for. Maybe you could
> explain it once more.

Well, what you provided was pretty close, it's just that the legend was
partly placed outside the figure...

> In general I think all one can do is to play around with the parameters
> in 'subplots_adjust' and the location in 'legend' to get the best result.
> I'm not an expert but I think there's no default behaviour covering all needs
> (outside the axes and best located), because for example the legend width is
> influenced by the length of the labels.

Right, this is the problem. The location your example provided is
perfect, except that I may have no control over the length of the legend
text, and so need to find a way to make sure the figure size is such
that the legend doesn't end up being half off the figure...

Anyone know how to do that?

(and thanks to Matthias for all his help! :-) )

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk