Dear Mailinglist,

Today I tried to change the fontset to sans-serif for a whole plot.
Everything except the ticks could be adjusted.

This is what I tried first:
ffont = {'size':'20','family':'sans-serif'}
xticks(**ffont)
No change in the font family. But I can change the size without
problems. I removed the ~/.matplotlib/FONTCACHE stuff as described
here(2).

Following (1) I tried again to change the font using
import pylab
pylab.figure()
ax = pylab.axes()
ax.plot(pylab.arange(10))
xlabels = ax.get_xticklabels()
xlabel0 = xlabels[0]                              # one of the xtick
labels
xlabel0.get_fontsize()
xlabel0.set_fontsize(20)
pylab.show()
Again nothing changed.

Using ipython I got this:
In [192]: xlabels[0].get_fontname()
Out[192]: 'Bitstream Vera Serif, New Century Schoolbook, serif'

In [195]: xlabels[0].set_family("sans-serif")

In [196]: xlabels[0].get_fontname()
Out[196]: 'Bitstream Vera Sans, Lucida Grande, Verdana, sans-serif'

In [197]: show()

there is no change in the output.

What could be the problem?

Best regards: