The rcParam svg.embed_chars controls this behavior.  I would assume it
is set differently on your Windows and Mac boxes.

When it is True, rather than outputting <text> blocks, it embeds the
characters as outlines.  This means that the fonts do not have to be
installed just to view the SVG correctly.  The upside is better
"portability" of the file.  The downside is that the text can be
impossible to edit in tools such as Inkscape or Illustrator.  (Using SVG
fonts would have been better, but there isn't much support for them in
the wild yet).

When it is False, regular text blocks are used, but things will look
strange (particularly with math text) if the correct fonts are not
installed on the viewer's machine.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Kaushik Ghose wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm using matplotlib on mac
> (matplotlib-0.91.2-py2.5-macosx-10.3-fat.egg) .
>
> On windows svg export would have very sensible text grouping. For
> example an xlabel('Time') when saved to svg results in one text object
> 'Time'.
>
> In the mac version this is saved as 5 separate objects, not text. A
> little puzzling, and inconvenient.
>
> Is there an option somewhere to change this behavior?
>
> I'm attaching an example svg.
>
> Thanks!
> -Kaushik

Michael Droettboom