The font lookup mechanism has been much improved in 0.91.2 -- you may
want to try using that.  In 0.90.x, often if you don't get a perfectly
exact match for a font, it reverts back to the default "Vera Sans".
Vera Sans, however, is not a fixed-width font.  Can you provide the png
file of fonts_demo.py so I can be sure of what is happening?  One way to
diagnose this is to do

  rc("verbose", level="debug-annoying")

which will print out a bunch of stuff related to font lookup.  Attach
the output here and I'll have a look at it to try to figure out what may
be going wrong.

Cheers,
Mike

Paul Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been trying in vain to get a better font on a plot than the fixed width
> serif one that always appears. I've got lib-freetype6 installed (on Ubuntu
> server), and ran fc-cache after. The .matplotlib/ttfont.cache contains
> entries
> for the Free* fonts. The fonts themselves are
> in /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont. The sample code below would seem (to
> me) to have used FreeSans, but the png has the same bad looking fixed-serif
> font.
> When running the matplotlib examples/fonts_demo.py the result is the same
> font
> all over that .png figure too (difference only in sizes).
>
> I usually work on XP, and it all works fine there. Does using only Agg as the
> backend make any difference whatsoever?
>
> Paul
>
> ubuntu 7.10
> python 2.5
> matplotlib 0.90.1
>
> ----
> Some sample code;
>
> import matplotlib
> from matplotlib import rc
> rc('font',**{'family':'sans-serif','sans-serif':['Arial','FreeSans']})
> matplotlib.use('Agg')
> from pylab import *
>
> plot(arange(100))
> ax=gca()
> ax.set(xlabel='Useless',ylabel='Pointless')
> draw()
> show()
> savefig('test')
> l=ax.xaxis.get_label()
> print 'font prop: ',l.get_font_properties()
> print 'font name: ',l.get_fontname()
>
> ----
> Produces this output;
>
> font prop:  (['Arial', 'FreeSans'], 'normal', 'normal', 'normal', 'normal',
> 12)
> font name:  FreeSans

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch