Chris wrote:
> export CFLAGS="-arch i386 -I/Developer/src/libpng
> -I/Developer/src/freetype/include"
> export LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -L/Developer/src/libpng
> -L/Developer/src/freetype"
> rm -rf build
> python setupegg.py bdist_egg
>
> The build of freetype in /Developer/src/freetype does not even have
> dynamic libs built. The basedir dict in setupext.py contains the following
> entry
> for OSX:
>
> 'darwin' : []

even with that, I think setup.py looks in "standard" places.

> ImportError: dlopen(/Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-
> 0.98pre-py2.5-macosx-10.5-i386.egg/matplotlib/ft2font.so, 2):
> Library not loaded: /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

Do you have /usr/local/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib on your build system? I
assume so, or it wouldn't work at all.

The easiest thing to do is remove it. Not a good solution if you need it
for other things, but if nothing else you could temporarily re-name it
in your build script, then name it back at end.

Otherwise, poke more into setup.py and setupext.py, and remove any
references to /usr/local/lib. Indeed, in an older version of MPL that I
have handy, it's added in setupext.py.

An Alternative:

I posted a note about this yesterday, with no replies, so I'll try again:

Instead of all of us going through the pain of figuring out how to build
and link static libs for MPL, and PIL, and GDAL, and ???, why don't we
just build against the nice Frameworks here:

http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:frameworks

yes, it's an extra download and install, but it's easy, they can be
provided by package distributors, and they can be shared by a bunch of
python packages (and other *nix-y software). See my message yesterday
for more detail.

I'm doing some testing with PIL -- it's very easy to build, and works
fine. It looks like py2app picks up the libs fine, too, though I need a
bit more testing.

-Chris

  Referenced from:
> /Library/Python/2.5/site-packages/matplotlib-0.98pre-py2.5-macosx-10.5-
> i386.egg/matplotlib/ft2font.so Reason: image not found
>
> I thought I had my bases covered -- if anyone has some insight here, please
> let me know. maptlotlib is the only missing piece of the "superpack" of
> modules that I distribute for OSX.

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]