Hello Jon,

maybe I don't undestand correctly, but try to use more space left of the axes
to avoid the disappering of the ylabel like:
ax1 = fig.add_axes([0.3, 0.7, 0.6, 0.2])
instead of
ax1 = fig.add_axes([0.1, 0.7, 0.8, 0.2]) .
That should be a solution, if you have not too different (considering their
length) ylabels.

regards Matthias

PS: By the way, it might be useful to you to change the figure size with the
keyword argument figsize of figure ( like fig=figure(figsize=(12, 6)) ).