There have subsequently been a number of fixes to how state is saved and
restored in the Postscript backend.  (Especially in revisions 5082, 5083
and 5133).  Comparing your eps file with mine, that seems the most
likely culprit of the bug.  Can you update to 0.98.1 or later (or the
current SVN head?).  Does that resolve this issue?

Cheers,
Mike

Michael Hearne wrote:
> Matplotlib versions:
>
> In [2]: matplotlib.__version__
> Out[2]: '0.98pre'
>
> In [3]: matplotlib.__revision__
> Out[3]: '$Revision: 5075 $'
>
> And I get similar results with the contour_demo example in the
> matplotlib distribution.
>
> The .eps (and .png, for comparison) file for that is attached.
>
> --Mike
>
> Michael Droettboom wrote:
>> What version of matplotlib are you using?
>>
>> Can you provide a standalone example that doesn't rely on basemap?
>> If not, can you provide the .eps file so we can have a look?
>>
>> Colored lines on contour plots in EPS works fine here
>> (contour_demo.py) (with matplotlib 0.98.2 on a Linux box).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mike
>>
>> Michael Hearne wrote:
>>> I noticed a problem with colors in rendered encapsulated postscript
>>> files, and fortunately I was able to replicate with a modified
>>> version of one of Jeff Whitaker's example scripts, which I have
>>> attached.  The EPS version of the plot has black contour lines where
>>> they are colored in the PNG file, at least on a Mac OSX machine.
>>>
>>> Is there a work-around for this?  I haven't tested to see if it is
>>> limited to contour plots, or to Mac installations...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Mike

>>> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
>>> It's the best place to buy or sell services for
>>> just about anything Open Source.
>>> http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php

Michael Droettboom
Science Software Branch