On Jul 8, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Michael Muratet wrote:

> Greetings
>
> I am trying to install matplotlib 0.98.1 on python 2.5.1 on Mac OS X
> 10.5.3. The install breaks at the required dependancy numpy 1.1
> because it thinks it has v 1.0.1. I have, in fact, installed numpy 1.1
> and I can't figure out why the matplotlib installer is not seeing it.
> I am not entirely familiar with installing python tools on Macs. Can
> anyone point out a build parameter or a common newbie error or any
> other info so I can resolve the dependancy?

This is happening because Leopard comes with an older version of numpy
already installed in:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/Extras/lib/
python

I'm pretty sure that this searched in before the path where your numpy
install is. This issue has come up before in many places, here's one:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2008-January/019596.html

I'm not sure what the current "best practice" is thought to be. You
should be able to change your PYTHONPATH environment variable to load
the correct directory first.

Some suggest to install your own (newer) version of python from
python.org for your own use and leave the system python for Apple's
use. You can then easily install the numpy/scipy/matplotlib/ipython
tools with the "Scipy superpack" installer:
http://macinscience.org/?page_id=6

An easier route might be to use the enthought distribution (if their
licensing is OK with you):
http://enthought.com/products/epddownload.php

It installs its on Python framework in:
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5.2001"

And numpy,scipy,ipython,matplotlib all just work out of the box.

-steve