(Sorry for the delay -- just back from vacation)

It looks like the default Vera Sans font that matplotlib uses doesn't
actually have the lunate epsilon character.  If you have it installed,
you could have matplotlib use the DejaVu Sans font instead (which is
essentially Vera Sans with a larger set of characters).

In your matplotlibrc, set font.sans to DejaVu Sans

Cheers,
Mike