David J Strozzi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a light matplotlib user, and generally haven't had problems the
> few times I've installed it.  However, now I am.
>
> I am building matplotlib (and a suite of python tools, including
> python itself) on a big computer cluster.  I don't have root access
> and that's non-negotiable.  I've compiled python and several tools,
> including matplotlib.  I can do 'from pylab import *', plot things,
> but I just can't get a graphics window to appear.  There are no
> errors returned, but show() and draw() just do nothing.
>
> The cluster is linux, to which I connect via an xterm on a mac os
> 10.3.9 machine.  I can open up x windows (like emacs, firefox, etc)
> with no problem.
>
> Any suggestions?  How can I fix, or even diagnose, this?
>
> Thanks much,
> David

David:  What backend are you using?  You can get the relevant
information by running your script with "--verbose-helpful" (i.e. python
test.py --verbose-helpful).  I suspect you are using a non-gui backend,
probably Agg.  If that's your default backend, it may mean that the
build didn't detect the needed gtk or tk libs and headers on your linux
system.  To see how to change your default backend, see
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/backends.html#comparison.

-Jeff

--
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/PSD1        FAX   : (303)497-6449