Adjusting a physical size of the axes is a bit tricky in matplotlib,
as the axes has an  fixed position in normalized figure coordinate.
But, I guess setting the axes aspect ratio in physical size is doable
relatively easily, at least if your x,y axis are in linear scales. For
example, if you want a square axes, set the aspect as the inverse of
your data aspect (ratio).

ax.set_aspect(1./ax.get_data_ratio())

As you see, you need to reset the aspect whenever your data limit changes.
IHTH,

-JJ