Ah, silly me. I forgot to notice I was using a path variable in the
string I was giving to mlab.save. Part A works just fine when I
account for that. Now that just leaves creating the directory. I like
the cbook.mkdirs implementation a lot better than the non-recursive
version in os... thanks for the tip!

Josh