John Hunter wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Fago, Matt - AES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So what is to be done here? It seems to me that at least the factor of two
>> should be
>> fixed for one-sided PSDs, and the 1/fs normalization difference with Matlab
>> documented. Ideally, I'd think this normalization would be on by default,
>> with the
>> option to turn it off.
>>
>> Are you planning to submit a patch, or shall I look into it? If I submit a
>> patch, does matplotlib
>> require a copyright assignment?
>
> If you submit a patch, we assume you are agreeing to the mpl licensing
> terms, so you do not need to explicitly do anything. As for the
> decision about how the defaults and kwargs should behave, I'll defer
> to you and Ryan.

I'm fine with coding up a patch to handle the scaling.  Since it seems Matlab
compatibility is the key desire here, making the Matlab scaling the default is
fine by me.  I, myself, am more than capable of turning on a keyword argument.
see two independent changes here:

1) Scaling by factor of two for one-sided psd -- Doesn't need a keyword
argument,
just makes sense.

2) Scaling by 1/Fs. I'm still not sure why Matlab is doing this, other than
perhaps to make the PSD dB/Hz instead of dB/(rad/s). Needs a new keyword
argument.  Suggestions on what exactly this should be called? scale_by_freq?

My only other concern is whether this belongs in 0.98.x.  This is a behavior
change from 0.98.3, not necessarily a bug fix.  I'll defer to John, et al. on
whether this should go in 0.98.x or go in a later release.

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant