Hello Andrew,
thanks for taking the time to reply.

First of all, let me clarify that I received a proposal (and not the
opposite) so some decision were already made about the book format.

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 20:00, Andrew Straw <straw...@astraw.com> wrote:
> Hi Sandro,
>
> It's great news that a book may come out on MPL.
>
> Speaking as an aspiring university professor in neuroscience, I would
> like to see something that could be used as a resource for undergraduate
> students just learning Python and MPL.

The cut of the book is for already experienced Python programmers. For
sure, in the "approaching" chapter to mpl, I won't go too much into
deep of python programming, and I suppose they'll be easy to read even
for new comers.

> Due to this perspective, I think
> such a book would cover both numpy and MPL. The emphasis could clearly
> by on MPL, but basic numpy idioms and concepts should also be taught.

Mh, the focus the editor would like to see is about introducing mpl +
integrating into apps. The examples I have in mind for the pratical
part of apps integration already cointains some sort of "introduction"
to gather data and plot them (but I can't go to much on the scientific
side :) ). I will propose a chapter like "Matplotlib for the science"
and here your suggestion on what you'd like to see there is welcome.

> think an example-driven approach would be very useful -- something like
> an undergraduate laboratory experiment where students measure and plot
> raw values and compute histograms and statistics (e.g. mean and std).
> More advanced sections might perform statistical comparisons of
> different treatments (e.g. using chi squared, KS and/or T tests), do
> linear least squares fitting (with np.linalg.lstsq), and possibly
> non-linear curve fitting using something like scipy.optimize.fmin.

That could be a beginning of that chapter contents: more more more ideas :)

> That's my self-serving $0.02, since you asked! :)

And they are very much welcome!!

> You may also want to speak with John Hunter and Fernando Perez about the
> possibility of collaborating -- they've already done some work towards a
> book, too.

I'm sure be happy to hear their voice on this product, but (given the
preamble) I don't know if the editor would be fine with co-authorship;
I'll ask, just to be sure.

Cheers,