Dear Richard,

2009/1/14 Richard Johns <soylen...@tbaytel.net>:
> The full edition of Python(x,y) 2.1.9 contains all of the software you
> mentioned(PIL, matplotlib, IPython, Enthought Tool Suite) while any of
> these missing from the basic and light editions can be added as plugins.

Enthought Python includes a lot more pre-packaged Python libraries
than Python(x,y) -- for example, the wxPython GUI library
(unfortunately, in my surely biased opinion, the developers of
Python(x,y) did not include wxPython in their distribution), and MPL
Basemap toolkit.

> Another thing I like about Python(x,y) is that it is updated frequently
> so that you are always working with the most up-to-date software without
> having to compile it yourself.

Well, none of these pre-packaged distribution is really "up-to-date",
as the development versions of the libraries (those available only via
svn) will of course never be included.

Best regards,

--
Dr. Mauro J. Cavalcanti