On Thursday 26 February 2009 20:52:17 Christopher Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I have a figure:
>
> h = pp.figure(num=14)
>
> What is the best way to check to see if Figure 14 exists? I'm writing a
> function that adds plots to a figure window. I want the function to
> check if the figure exists, and if so, turn off autoscaling (using
> Eric's suggested axes.set_autoscale_on(False)) in case the user has zoomed.

Hi Christopher,

I don't know if my suggestion is the best way, but at least it may be
useful ...

regards Matthias

example code:

import matplotlib
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

for i in range(5)+[14]:
    plt.figure(i) # generating some figures

# get the figure numbers of all existing figures
fig_numbers = [x.num
               for x in matplotlib._pylab_helpers.Gcf.get_all_fig_managers()]

if 14 in fig_numbers:
    print "figure 14 exists"

if plt.figure(14).number in fig_numbers:
    print "figure 14 exists"