FormatStrFormatter (and other formatters) rely on Python's string
interpolation, and It does not seem to be possible to get rid of the
leading zero (http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html).

I think what you can do is to replace "0." with "." after the
interpolation. Something like below works for me.

from matplotlib.ticker import ScalarFormatter
s = subplot(111)

class ScalarFormatterNoLeadingZero(ScalarFormatter):
    def pprint_val(self, x):
        s = ScalarFormatter.pprint_val(self, x)
        return s.replace("0.",".")

s.xaxis.set_major_formatter(ScalarFormatterNoLeadingZero())

HTH,

-JJ