On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Chaitanya Krishna <icym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Usually when I plot two or more lines, the color of the lines change.
> Is it possible to change this default behavior so that when I plot two
> or more lines, the symbols change and not the color.
>
> This would be useful if someone is trying to make plots in black and
> white so that the symbols change instead of line colors.

You can do this with a little manual intervention -- below is a script
which cycles through all of mpl's line markers.

    import numpy as np
    import matplotlib.lines as lines
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

    markers = list(lines.Line2D.markers.keys())
    markers.sort()
    N = len(markers)

    fig = plt.figure()
    ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
    x = np.arange(20)
    for i in range(50):
        marker = markers[i%N]
        print marker
        y = i*x
        ax.plot(x, y, marker=marker, linestyle='', mfc='blue')

    plt.show()

You could do a similar trick with linestyles using the
lines.Line2D.lineStyles and lines.Line2D.drawStyles dictionaries
(these map the symbols to the internal Line2D function we use to draw
the symbols).  See also

  http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/examples/pylab_examples/line_styles.html

JDH