Eric Firing wrote:
> Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Has anyone used MPL to make stick plots? If so, can I borrow your code?
> If no one volunteers anything, then I suggest using quiver(...,
> headlength=0, headwidth=0, headaxislength=0), together with
> quiverkey(...).  This will effectively give you a stick plot, with lots
> of flexibility.

Thanks, I was thinking that quiver() would get direction wrong, as the x
and y scales are in totally different units, but it looks like that's
not the case if you use the "angles" keyword:

angles: [‘uv’ | ‘xy’ | array]
     With the default ‘uv’, the arrow aspect ratio is 1, so that if
U*==*V the angle of the arrow on the plot is 45 degrees CCW from the
x-axis. With ‘xy’, the arrow points from (x,y) to (x+u, y+v).
Alternatively, arbitrary angles may be specified as an array of values
in degrees, CCW from the x-axis.

 >  It could be implemented more efficiently in any of
> several ways, but it would take work to do it well.

I hope I'll get time to do that, but I don't really like quiver stick
plots anyway. I prefer plots (that I don't know the name of) that:

Time is on the x axis

Magnitude of the velocity is the x axis

At each data point, there is a dot, and the direction is given with a
unit-length arrow originating at that dot, in the direction of the
observation.

I wrote a version of this a while back with the old MPL transforms
mechanism, but haven't taken the time to translate it.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov