Alexander Lamaison wrote:
> I would like it to work
> is to use the default backend if X is available and, otherwise, fall
> back to using the Agg backend.  How can I do this?

I had a similar need a good while back with wxPython. I found some C
code on the net that tries to connect to an X server and fails
gracefully if it can't. I also wrote a Python wrapper around it. I
haven't used it for years, and can't even find it on  my machine, but
thanks to the glory of archives and google, here it is:

http://osdir.com/ml/python.wxpython/2004-03/msg00294.html

You'd use it like:

import matplotlib
import isX

if isX.isX:
     matplotlib.use("wxGTK") or whatever..
else:
     matplotlib.use("AGG")

note that you can also just check and see if the "DISPLAY" environment
variable is set, but that won't be as reliable.

However, as the whole user interaction has to be totally different, I
wonder if you can't just have a different start-up script depending on
whether they want to run the GUI version or not.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov