Chaitanya Krishna <icym...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Paul Anton Letnes
> <paul.anton.let...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I run the script below, the xlabel and ylabel do not show up. If I
>> increase the figure size, it all works fine.
>
> I am not sure if it is a bug. But, it is usual that such a thing
> happens when you are making small figures (like in your case).

Arguably it is a bug, since it is reasonable to expect that when you set
an xlabel or ylabel (or, say, large yticklabels), it shows up in the
figure. There are at least two problems to solve here: what should the
user interface be like, and how can it best be implemented?

The user interface question seems difficult to me. If you set the figure
size to something small (as in this case) and then add labels, should
matplotlib reduce the area available for the plot? Or should it reduce
the font size of the labels and the tick labels, and perhaps the amount
of white space between the axes and the labels? Or some combination of
these?

The implementation question could also be somewhat hairy, since the
bounding box of text objects depends on the backend. If agg and pdf
disagree on the size of a label, is it OK to get different-looking
results in png and pdf?

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks