On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Paul Anton
Letnes<paul.anton.let...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> This _must_ be a bug. Consider the following:
>> ##############
>> import matplotlib

No it is not a bug -- mpl is doing what you tell it to do.  Consider

  >>> figure()
  >>> subplot(111)
  >>> plot([1,2,3])
  >>> xlabel('hi mom', fontsize=100)

Each command has precise meaning -- the fig creates a figure using the
default size, the subplot occupies a fraction of that figure according
to the default ratios in the subplots_adjust parameters, and the
xlabel makes a label at an indicated physical size.  You may not be
explicitly setting those sizes, but they are all defined via defaults
in the matplotlibrc.  We try and make mpl do what you tell it to do,
not to try and out-smart you and do what we think you are telling it
to do.

Now I definitely support the idea that we should have a *feature* to
auto-adjust the subplots_adjust params and fontsizes so that it "just
works" more often.  But this should be an optional feature so the user
who wants to express their intent clearly will not constantly be
stymied by mpl adjusting the sizes.  Michael Droettboom has worked on
it and it is a difficult problem to get right.

JDH