On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:34 PM, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:04 PM, Ryan May<rma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Christopher Barker <
> chris.bar...@noaa.gov>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if there is a way to use ipython with the advantages of
> >> the -pylab option (separate gui thread, etc.), but without the whole
> >> pylab namespace getting sucked in?
> >
> > Put this in your ~/.ipython/ipythonrc:
> >
> > pylab_import_all 0
> >
> > That gives you exactly what you want.  In my case, I also made a profile
> > that imports numpy as np and matplotlib.pyplot as plt, so that I can get
> the
> > equivalent of the ease pylab without the pollution.
>
> Hey Ryan -- could you write up a sphinx/rest FAQ that describes all
> these steps in detail, eg how you create the profile and how you start
> ipython, so we can add it to the site docs?  If you are uncomfortable
> with the docs, I can apply the patch.

I'm willing to.  However, I just noticed that with just the pylab_import_all
0, you get the import numpy as np and import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
automatically. Also, nicely, these don't show up when you type 'whos'.  This
is with ipython 0.9.1.  Should I just add the pylab_import_all 0 to the FAQ?

Ryan

--
Ryan May
Graduate Research Assistant